kubuntu on old laptop

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sun Sep 24 00:15:46 MST 2006

On the download page (where you choose a mirror site) scroll to the bottom and there is a small list of DVD distribution sites.  Almost nobody mirrors the DVD due to the huge size, so the few locations listed are mostly Ubuntu themselves.  Be kind to the intercontinental links and use bittorrent for the DVD download.

Each variant (K/X/Ed/Ubuntu) is it's own sub-distribution, so they each have different disks.  Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and EdUbuntu each offer a DVD download (go the the appropriate site, select download, then go to the bottom of the page).  XUbuntu does not appear to have a DVD version available at the moment.

There is a separate DVD for each architecture(i386/AMD64/PowerPC) as well.  All told there are 9 DVD's available, which is better than the 27 CD's (Xubuntu is 9 more CD's, but no DVD's), but still a lot.

The primary value of the DVD is the combining of Desktop/Server/Alternate, and the inclusion of many more packages on the DVD (the entire main repository I think), cutting down on the amount you'd have to download if you add a bunch of common tools right after install.

==Joseph++