Tech Support Recommendations

Alan Pratt alan at azdev.com
Fri Sep 22 09:42:38 MST 2006

Jason -

Because no one else has responded, I'll throw my opinion onto your
request. Maybe I can help incite some comments from the list.

>From what I've seen as a consultant for the last 10 years or so, your
company 'appears'  to be one of the client types that scares me a bit
and might be why you're not getting a lot of responses and offers. I
could be wrong, so please don't take offense. Let me make a few
assumptions and raise a few of the issues I can draw from what you've
said are:

Netware 4, Exchange 2000, and DOS all are past end-of-life, so there
isn't support from the manufacturers. (Yes, I know Exchange 5.5 was
extended, but 2000 is dead as of 12/31/2005 - go figure).
I'm assuming the NW system is supporting NDS, and probably file and
print, but because Exchange 2000 is on-line, your also have active
directory running somewhere. These two don't really like each other
much.
I'm assuming the DOS terminals are running a legacy app. DOS apps are
a bit of a lost art, being largely replaced over the last 10 years.
I'm assuming, based on past experiences, that the equipment these
systems and terminals are running on are 'a bit aged' and are
beginning to fail. Keeping older equipment running reliably becomes
increasingly difficult, especially when the parts are depracated
(tried to find an ISA network card recently?).
To maintain the status quo, your support consultant would need to be
well-versed in a number of older technologies, while being up on the
new stuff - it's a bit of a stretch sometimes.
In the past, the clients having this scenario are 'frugal', and paying
a consultant what would be needed to get everything in order and
buying reliable equipment might be 'over the budget'.

I think you're right, though, that Linux could be a perfect fit. It
can easily replace the NW services (even NDS with services like LDAP
or Novell's eDirectory), runs very well on less expensive equipment,
and is inexpensive and reliable. I work with Linux and MS every day,
and they both could do well - but you're better bang for the buck is
Linux (unless you must have some MS stuff for some special purpose
app...)

In any case, feel free to respond (even if you want to tell me I'm
full-of-it) or ask questions.

- Alan