Wifi on SuSE 10.1

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Wed Sep 20 23:05:03 MST 2006

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 14:27, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Okay I just installed SuSE 10.1 on a friends Gateway laptop. Everything
> more or less went smooth except I can't get his wireless card working.
> This is a dual boot laptop on the MS side everything is okay and when I
> use an ethernet cable everything is all right but when I try going
> wireless its dead. YaST says its a Gateway 2000 88E8038 PCI-E Fast
> Ethernet Controller. I don't know if he has a seperate wireless
> controller or not. but like I said it works in MS and this is all that
> YaST sees. Any ideas?

I think the BroadCom chipset still requires ndiswrapper.  You can install that
through YAST.

The ndiswrapper site is here -
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation

You can setup wireless through YAST once ndiswrapper is installed and manage
wireless with knetworkmanager.

You could replace the BroadCom miniPCI wifi card with an Intel 2200b/g which
is well supported and works out of the box with SUSE, Ubuntu and KNOPPIX.

 I've bought the Intel cards on eBay for about $18.00 new.

Dennisk