Wifi on SuSE 10.1

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Sep 20 16:14:27 MST 2006

On Wed, September 20, 2006 2:27 pm, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Okay I just installed SuSE 10.1 on a friends Gateway laptop. Everything
> more or less went smooth except I can't get his wireless card working.
> This is a dual boot laptop on the MS side everything is okay and when I
> use an ethernet cable everything is all right but when I try going
> wireless its dead. YaST says its a Gateway 2000 88E8038 PCI-E Fast
> Ethernet Controller. I don't know if he has a seperate wireless
> controller or not. but like I said it works in MS and this is all that
> YaST sees. Any ideas?

My new notebook has Intel wireless.  I had a similar problem where Yast
would see it but nothing else would.  Talking to some people on IRC, they
asked if I was running the daemon that is required.  It was on the 3rd
party Addon's CD (or repository).  Once I installed the daemon and
rebooted, the wireless Just Worked(TM).

I don't know if your wireless has the same issue but it is something to
explore.  Also, I highly recommend the helpful people in irc.freenode.net
#suse.

Alan