OT: backpacks

eric ericlists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 15:05:19 MST 2006

What are people using for laptop backpacks these days and liking?  I've been
thru several generic bags, and most recently an Icon I picked up at Micro
Center, none of which I've been happy with due to durability or storage
issues.

My needs include:

House/protect 15" laptop (Thinkpad R51).  I have no intention of going
bigger, as even the R51 is a bit on the large side for me, as something that
travels with me daily.

Separate compartments for PDA (iPAQ hx4700) and clamshell handheld (Jornada
680), cords, external  2.5" drives, chargers, etc.

Holders for disks, pens/pencils, extra batteries, etc.

Something resembling proper support of the bag.  I don't need to go into a
full framed style pack, but two dinky nylon straps won't cut it either.

Cell phone pocket on one of the straps is a bonus.

I like to be highly organized, and not spend 2 minutes digging a pen or
phone out of the bottom of the bag covered by a bunch of other loose stuff.
I'll gladly give up some total cubic inches of storage space for better
organization.

Currently, I'm looking at the Wenger Swiss Maxxum bags.  Only one I've found
locally that has proper sized pockets for the Jornada.

_eric