A 'wine' adventure

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Wed Sep 20 13:41:26 MST 2006

.
With many thanks, again, to all my PLUG friends, this note is just to provide
an interim report of, shall we say, "pending" success.

After many hours of work over nearly two months, ultimately leading to many
re-installs of both wine and Pagemaker and Paint Shop Pro, I have, in fact,
finally been able to get both PM and PSP to work (at one point or another)
with varying degrees of success/satisfaction.

Pagemaker 7 now seems to work fairly well on the latest version of wine 0.9.21
although I had to reinstall it a couple of times to get it to work correctly.
Still some things to resolve and fine-tune, but this is now very encouraging
... and I can report that it works a whole lot faster and better in several
respects on Linux via wine than natively under windows. Wine has apparently
made monumental improvement of late.

Paint Shop Pro worked somewhat (not all operations worked) on the next to the
last iteration of wine (0.9.20), but it aborts immediately after it starts on
the most recent iteration (0.9.21). Can't figure out why, but I'm going to try
the Codeweavers Crossover Office "enhanced" wine product next, as it is
reported to to be "Gold" with PSP.

I have been keeping fastidious notes on this journey and hope/plan to recap
everything for a comprehensive "how-to" once I get over all the hurdles.

It has been quite an adventure.