Unable to login with new monitor attached

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 18:41:18 MST 2006

No need to change runlevel like that since "Recovery Mode" is the 2nd option
in /boot/grub/menu.list.  Just cursor to it on boot and boot into a console
to do those things.  Unfortunately the configuration file produced by X
-configure failed the X -config ~/xorg.conf.new tests.

It's also interesting that although it was able to identify the
manufacturer, model number and other ddcprobed information, it still
identified the monitor as being a CRT.  Yet booting the unbuntu 6.06 disk as
a live cd works just fine.  Hmmmm, think I will go do that again and look at
what IT puts in the xorg.conf.

BTW, I also noticed that the conf file shows the CRT I originally installed
with, not the one I have been using for these tests.  What do you bet there
is a better way to re-initialize the system for such changes.  Or perhaps
windows actually does something better :P