How to use 'updatedb' and 'locate' on a second partition?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 08:50:05 MST 2006

Interestingly, there are no man entries for either on my ubuntu system
although it is installed and does updates.  OTOH, looking at my
/etc/updatedb.conf there is a section which adds netpaths:

# netpaths which are added
NETPATHS=""
export NETPATHS

though there is no explanatory material.  NTL, Josef's question seems to
indicate he wants a separate list built for each partition.  That makes me
think that 1) those partitions are not mounted to the active file system,
and 2) maybe they are part, or all, of filesystems not belonging to a linux
system (like maybe windows or something).

IOW, he might be able to add them if he can mount them and add them under
netpaths but that would co-mingle everything in a single database.  I see
nothing to indicate there is any simple way to have updatedb make separate
databases.

It MIGHT be possible to set up cron jobs to use updatedb to swap .conf and
database files, do the appropriate mounts, run updatedb and swap everything
back to create separate databases.  Then you might use a script to swap
databases, do your locates for the desired partition and swap the databases
back to normal.  Anyway, that's just speculation based on an imaginary
scenario for what Josef is actually looking to do.

On 9/14/06, Eric Shubes <plug at shubes.net> wrote:

> Josef Lowder wrote:
> > .
> > When I run 'updatedb' it compiles a list of files only on my primary
> partition
> > so I can then use 'locate' to find files I am searching for.
> >
> > Is it possible (I assume it is) and how would it be done (what syntax)
> to use
> > 'updatedb' to build a separate list of files on a second (or third)
> partition
> > so files could be searched for on those partitions?
> >

> I just looked at "man updatedb" and "man updatedb.conf". The only options
> appear to be ones that prune (omit) various directories and filesystem
> types. From that, I'm guessing that updatedb creates the database for any
> filesystems that are mounted. If you have one that's mounted and isn't
> being
> included, check to be sure that it isn't being pruned in
> /etc/updatedb.conf.
>
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss