How to use 'updatedb' and 'locate' on a second partition?

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Sep 14 22:47:26 MST 2006

Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> When I run 'updatedb' it compiles a list of files only on my primary partition
> so I can then use 'locate' to find files I am searching for.
>
> Is it possible (I assume it is) and how would it be done (what syntax) to use
> 'updatedb' to build a separate list of files on a second (or third) partition
> so files could be searched for on those partitions?

I just looked at "man updatedb" and "man updatedb.conf". The only options
appear to be ones that prune (omit) various directories and filesystem
types. From that, I'm guessing that updatedb creates the database for any
filesystems that are mounted. If you have one that's mounted and isn't being
included, check to be sure that it isn't being pruned in /etc/updatedb.conf.

--
-Eric 'shubes'