How to use 'updatedb' and 'locate' on a second partition?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Sep 15 11:11:12 MST 2006

.
Thanks for your responses.
Provides some clues for further investigation.

-------------------
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Dazed_75 wrote
> looking at my /etc/updatedb.conf there is a section which adds netpaths:
>
> # netpaths which are added
> NETPATHS=""
> export NETPATHS
>
> Josef's question seems to indicate he wants a separate list built
> for each partition.  That makes me think that 1) those partitions
> are not mounted to the active file system, and 2) maybe they are
> part, or all, of filesystems not belonging to a linux system
> (like maybe windows or something).

Actually, there are three separate Linux partitions and no
Windows partition and all three are mounted, but two of them
are not being found by updatedb.  Hummm.

The presentation re 'unison' last night at the East Valley PLUG
meeting might help in some way I haven't yet quite figured out ;))

> IOW, he might be able to add them if he can mount them and add them
> under netpaths but that would co-mingle everything in a single database.

Co-mingling everything would not be optimal. Ideally, I would like
to just be able to search each partition separately.

> On 9/14/06, Eric Shubes wrote:
> I just looked at "man updatedb" and "man updatedb.conf ". The only options
> appear to be ones that prune (omit) various directories and filesystem
> types. From that, I'm guessing that updatedb creates the database for any
> filesystems that are mounted. If you have one that's mounted and isn't being
> included, check to be sure that it isn't being pruned in /etc/updatedb.conf.

This by pruning or omitting various directories, that might prove
to be a way to accomplish what I hope to do.