Sys admin meetings

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sun Sep 10 17:43:56 MST 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 03:02:59PM -0700, Shawn Badger wrote:
> I think most sys admin type topics in the Unix/Linux/BSD world would
> help and be of interest to a majority of sys admins. The only catch is
> as long as the topics are kept from being to platform specific, but even
> a few of those wouldn't hurt. After all it never hurts to learn
> something about another OS.

I recently signed up for the LOPSA mailing list and was surprised at the
complete lack of traffic. And I'm never sure if there *is* an AZSAGE at
any given time. I don't know *what* the deal is with SA groups, but it's
obviously hard to get people out. PhxBUG will continue to do SA related
topics. We've been doing multi-computer live setup & demo (Kerberos &
PF) so you get to see everything in action, and fixing things when it
doesn't work the first time. ;) Inevitably, that *does* lead to OS
specific steps. But if you can do Kerberos on BSD then you can manage it
in Linux.

> In looking at the what you have covered in some of the meetings, I think
> that the BSD group would be a good fit. But do to the kids schedules it
> will be a couple of months before I get a chance to check one out.

That's probably good, as there's a good chance that we'll be convering
PF for the next couple of meetings, and that's pretty much a BSD-only
thing. Though any of you Linux iptables people might want to show up and
see things done with some different tools.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |