Where to place apps for WINE to run?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Sep 8 14:45:57 MST 2006

.
Any WINE (program, not drink) users/experts out there?

I have just learned that some win-applications that I need to run reportedly
now work under WINE, so I downloaded/installed the latest version of WINE to
have a go at it.  But where on one's system (ideally) should one install
win-applications?  I have an empty /opt directory that some have suggested is
a good place to install applications.  Others have suggested 'var'. Others
have suggested in one's home directory.

What wise counsel would you suggest?