Where to place apps for WINE to run?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Sep 8 15:38:39 MST 2006

On Fri, September 8, 2006 2:45 pm, Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> Any WINE (program, not drink) users/experts out there?
>
> I have just learned that some win-applications that I need to run
> reportedly
> now work under WINE, so I downloaded/installed the latest version of WINE
> have a go at it.  But where on one's system (ideally) should one install
> win-applications?  I have an empty /opt directory that some have suggested
> is
> a good place to install applications.  Others have suggested 'var'. Others
> have suggested in one's home directory.
>
> What wise counsel would you suggest?

WINE will create or already has a directory tree branched from your home
directory.  It is called "~/.wine"  Under that directory will be a
directory that represents what the Windows application will see as "Drive
C"  I have seen WINE configurations that give this "drive C" directory
different names so you will have to look for what your setup has.  It
should be fairly obvious by the path and directory name.  Something like
"drives/c" or "drive_c" is what I have seen.

The way I install an application under WINE, is to copy the SETUP.EXE or
INSTALL.EXE and associated files into a subdirectory under the "drive C"
directory described in the above step.  Then, at the Linux command line,
in the directory with the application setup files, execute the command
"wine setup.exe"  The application will then be installed in the
appropriate directories in what it sees as "drive C" and you know as a
directory under "~/.wine".

I hope that clears rather than muddies the waters for you.

Alan