When is it okay (or not okay) to install RPMs?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Sep 8 14:34:41 MST 2006

.
Trying to get 'pdftk' (pdf took kit) installed and running
into one roadblock after another.

Once I finally found 'pdftk' for my distro on the 'net,
first, I saw this:

Some package request cannot be installed:
pdftk-1.12-2mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgcj.so.6)
Continue?

So, I went looking for libgcj.so.6
(which 'locate' told me was not on my system).

Google could not find any 'libgcj.so.6'
and the only thing close I could find was this:
libgcj6-4.0.1-5mdk.i586.rpm

Will that work?
I thought I would try to install it, but starting, I then saw this:

You are about to install the following software package on your computer:
libgcj6-4.0.1-5mdk: GNU Java runtime libraries
You may prefer to just save it. What is your choice?
[Install] [Save] [Cancel]

I think I appreciate all the helpful caution messages
(there have been several others along the way) but that
last message now has me concerned.  How can one know if/when
a called for package is going to satisfy (or not satisfy)
one of these messages?

And why would I be prompted to just save it instead of install it?