Linux Computer Names not found

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 09:30:42 MST 2006

> > Perhaps it is a misunderstanding on my part, but I was assuming Samba
> > was running simply because I am able to use the printers and shared
> > disk space of the windows machines from ubuntu.
> ----
> that is as a cups client - no registration of a netbios name with a
> broadcast that I am aware of doing this
> ----

Craig, I don't think you meant to say that the Common UNIX Print System is
responsible for my being able to use Windows disk shares.  I am probably
wrong, but also I don't think CUPS is responsible for finding the Windows
Printer shares from the fact that I had to locate the Windows Printers first
by identifying that I was looking for a networked printer, then looking into
the Windows network and workgroup and signifying the desired printer.  Once
located I had to select a driver and it was a CUPS driver.  Am I being too
fussy here or overreading between the lines?

----
perhaps it isn't started at all...I believe in ubuntu, something like
'/etc/init.d/smb start' should suffice to start samba server - something
like '/etc/init.d/smb status' should tell you if it's running or not.
----

I think you are right that it is not started.  In fact, there is no smb
element in init.d and no references I can find in the rc?.d directories
either.

On 9/6/06, Alex LeDonne <aledonne.listmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Time for more precision in the discussion. Using shared windows disk
> and printers requires use of the samba _client_. Broadcasting your
> NetBIOS name and showing up on the windows network requires running
> the samba NetBIOS name server, nmbd. Try
>
> ps -ef | grep nmbd
>
> to see if it's running at all.
>
> For more info, man nmbd.

Not only does there not seem to be an nmbd running.  There does not seem to
be one on the machine and man nmbd or man -k nmbd yield nothing at all.
Ain't it wonderful how distros differ even in the basics?

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss