Linux Computer Names not found

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 07:17:56 MST 2006

On 9/6/06, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/5/06, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com > wrote:
> > If samba is running on the Linux machine, it will broadcast it's NETBIOS
> > name and be found by other systems IF the workgroup is the same name. By
> > default, the NETBIOS name of a Linux system running samba will be it's
> > host name (not the fqdn) but is configurable in smb.conf
>
> Perhaps it is a misunderstanding on my part, but I was assuming Samba was
> running simply because I am able to use the printers and shared disk space
> of the windows machines from ubuntu.  If I click on Places/Network Servers
> in gnome, the resulting window shows an icon for the Windows Network and
> within that the workgroup name the windows machines share and within that
> the shared resources by name.  But I have no other reason to believe Samba
> is actually running.  I looked at /etc/samba/smb.conf and did correct the
> workgroup name. After rebooting machines (know I should be able to just
> restart the service but I do not know how), I see no change to either the
> Linux or Windows sides.

Time for more precision in the discussion. Using shared windows disk
and printers requires use of the samba _client_. Broadcasting your
NetBIOS name and showing up on the windows network requires running
the samba NetBIOS name server, nmbd. Try

 ps -ef | grep nmbd

to see if it's running at all.

For more info, man nmbd.

-Alex