Linux Computer Names not found

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 6 09:47:17 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 09:30 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
>         > Perhaps it is a misunderstanding on my part, but I was
>         assuming Samba
>         > was running simply because I am able to use the printers and
>         shared
>         > disk space of the windows machines from ubuntu.
>         ----
>         that is as a cups client - no registration of a netbios name
>         with a
>         broadcast that I am aware of doing this
>         ----
>

> Craig, I don't think you meant to say that the Common UNIX Print
> System is responsible for my being able to use Windows disk shares.
----
yes, I didn't say that. CUPS allows you to use Windows printers
smbclient allows you to use Windows shares
neither broadcast Netbios packets. As Alex pointed out, nmb is about
netbios broadcast and that is started automatically by starting smb (at
least that's the way I've always seen it work). Neither the cups nor
smbclient will do that
-----
>   I am probably wrong, but also I don't think CUPS is responsible for
> finding the Windows Printer shares from the fact that I had to locate
> the Windows Printers first by identifying that I was looking for a
> networked printer, then looking into the Windows network and workgroup
> and signifying the desired printer.  Once located I had to select a
> driver and it was a CUPS driver.  Am I being too fussy here or
> overreading between the lines?
----
no - those are simply client applications.
----

>         ----
>         perhaps it isn't started at all...I believe in ubuntu,
>         something like
>         '/etc/init.d/smb start' should suffice to start samba server -
>         something
>         like '/etc/init.d/smb status' should tell you if it's running
>         or not.
>         ----
>

> I think you are right that it is not started.  In fact, there is no
> smb element in init.d and no references I can find in the rc?.d
> directories either.
----
you probably need to install samba server packages for ubuntu to be a
samba server, to start nmbd and ultimately, broadcast netbios packets.
----

> On 9/6/06, Alex LeDonne <aledonne.listmail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         Time for more precision in the discussion. Using shared
>         windows disk
>         and printers requires use of the samba _client_. Broadcasting
>         your
>         NetBIOS name and showing up on the windows network requires
>         running
>         the samba NetBIOS name server, nmbd. Try
>
>         ps -ef | grep nmbd
>
>         to see if it's running at all.
>
>         For more info, man nmbd.
> Not only does there not seem to be an nmbd running.  There does not
> seem to be one on the machine and man nmbd or man -k nmbd yield
> nothing at all.  Ain't it wonderful how distros differ even in the
> basics?
----
viva le diference`

install samba server package