Java WAS ogg friendly stream

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 11 19:11:31 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 18:06 -0700, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> Set of short answers:
>   The correct variable is JAVA_HOME, you'll usually have to set this yourself.
>   Firefox uses a plugin, not the JRE directly.  The gcjwebplugin always uses gij, never the sun JRE
>   There is NOTHING in a Linux system that specifically requires the GIJ interpreter, and anything that is really looking for Java
>     will work with the Sun JVM.  Programs compiled with GCJ don't need any JVM, they're native binaries at that point.
>   GCJ/GIJ is not really a JVM, and the gcjwebplugin is far from spec-compliant.  I just haven't gotten around to installing a Sun plugin in FF.
>   Java is relatively insensitive to 32/64 bit issues.  The Sun JVM for AMD64 works just beautifully on my system (Dev support for Tomcat/Geronimo)
>   You can install as many JVM's as you like, none will cause any harm to the others as long as they're in different directories.
>   OO.o doesn't work with any *released* JVM except the Sun JVM right now.
----
yeah forgot about the soft link in the plugins folder for FF

while you are learnin me...this is what I typically use:

# cat /etc/profile.d/java.sh
JREHOME="/usr/lib/jre/lib/i386"
JAVAWSHOME="/usr/lib/jre/javaws"
PATH="$PATH:/usr/lib/jre/bin"

Then I soft link whatever version of java that I have to /usr/lib/jre

and I have never set a JAVA_HOME environmental variable and not had an
issue. Care to critique?

Craig