Java WAS ogg friendly stream

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Nov 11 19:35:59 MST 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 18:06 -0700, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
>> Set of short answers:
>>   The correct variable is JAVA_HOME, you'll usually have to set this yourself.
>>   Firefox uses a plugin, not the JRE directly.  The gcjwebplugin always uses gij, never the sun JRE
>>   There is NOTHING in a Linux system that specifically requires the GIJ interpreter, and anything that is really looking for Java
>>     will work with the Sun JVM.  Programs compiled with GCJ don't need any JVM, they're native binaries at that point.
>>   GCJ/GIJ is not really a JVM, and the gcjwebplugin is far from spec-compliant.  I just haven't gotten around to installing a Sun plugin in FF.
>>   Java is relatively insensitive to 32/64 bit issues.  The Sun JVM for AMD64 works just beautifully on my system (Dev support for Tomcat/Geronimo)
>>   You can install as many JVM's as you like, none will cause any harm to the others as long as they're in different directories.
>>   OO.o doesn't work with any *released* JVM except the Sun JVM right now.
> ----
> yeah forgot about the soft link in the plugins folder for FF
>
> while you are learnin me...this is what I typically use:
>
> # cat /etc/profile.d/java.sh
> JREHOME="/usr/lib/jre/lib/i386"
> JAVAWSHOME="/usr/lib/jre/javaws"
> PATH="$PATH:/usr/lib/jre/bin"
>
> Then I soft link whatever version of java that I have to /usr/lib/jre
>
> and I have never set a JAVA_HOME environmental variable and not had an
> issue. Care to critique?
>
> Craig

---
JAVA_HOME is only needed if your Java isn't symlinked properly, or if you want to use an alternate installed version (say your default is Sun 1.5 but you want to use IBM 1.3 for some program), most Java software runs fine without it if the "java" executable is in the path.

There is no JREHOME or JAVAWSHOME standard environment variable, but some programs might use them as a non-standard extension to find the JRE or JSDK.

==Joseph++