Linux is capitalist!

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Fri May 19 14:42:35 MST 2006

On 5/19/06, Rod Heyd <rsheyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/18/06, Mike Schwartz <mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Umm, one small correction:
> > > Stallman adapted [...] and called it open source.
> >
> > Nope.  What Stallman calls it, is "Free Software".
> > Not only is "open source" not == "Free Software",
> > but Stallman considers the difference to be important.
> > He talks about it on some of the gnu project web pages -- see
> >   http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
> > In fact, his answer (more detailed than just 'no') to the question
> > "Is `Open Source' Synonymous With `Free Software'?<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html>".
> >
> > is given in an essay entitled
> > << Why ``Free Software'' is better than ``Open Source'' >>
> > at
> >   http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
> >

> Hello Mike,
>
> You are correct.  I got a little sloppy with my terminology, I'm sure
> Stallman would rip me a new one over that!  However, my point still stands.
> Stallman's motivating philosophy for free software is based on the successes
> of the scientific process, not on a dubious utopian political philosophy.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rod

Yes, I agree.
...and even though Stallman considers the difference to be important,
("open source" not == "Free Software")
any worrying about terminology like that,
is really kind of a picayune nit-pick,
compared to the big picture, --
which was your point.

PS:  I also agree that it is well and good, that
Stallman has kept some of his personal opinions "off"
of the gnu (and FSF) web sites, to some extent.
One can get some idea of those personal opinions
by looking at his personal web pages.
Not that I want to get in to whether I disagree or not,
with him;
even if my opinions == his,
we still have such a wide variety of nerds and other
folks, in the world of gnu (and FSF) etc.;
wide enough that obviously there could be some
folks, who might debate/argue/flame... spend
(waste?) time on various disagreements,
while there is much practical work to be done.
-- so much work in fact,
that it has to be prioritized, and "triaged",
and the less important stuff,
may get less (/or, "no") time devoted to it,
for now at least...
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ