Linux is capitalist!

Rod Heyd rsheyd at gmail.com
Fri May 19 08:31:54 MST 2006

On 5/18/06, Mike Schwartz <mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Umm, one small correction:
> > Stallman adapted [...] and called it open source.
>
> Nope.  What Stallman calls it, is "Free Software".
> Not only is "open source" not == "Free Software",
> but Stallman considers the difference to be important.
> He talks about it on some of the gnu project web pages -- see
>   http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
> In fact, his answer (more detailed than just 'no') to the question
> "Is `Open Source' Synonymous With `Free Software'?<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html>".
>
> is given in an essay entitled
> << Why ``Free Software'' is better than ``Open Source'' >>
> at
>   http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Hello Mike,

You are correct.  I got a little sloppy with my terminology, I'm sure
Stallman would rip me a new one over that!  However, my point still stands.
Stallman's motivating philosophy for free software is based on the successes
of the scientific process, not on a dubious utopian political philosophy.

Cheers,

Rod