Several questions about fonts

joe joe at tlnf.com
Thu May 18 10:22:47 MST 2006

.
My main QUESTION (#1) is how and where to add, delete, and temporarily store
fonts so those that I may want to temporarily remove from immediate use could
be restored later, if desired. After much searching, I have learned the
following:

I found that I could use: $ /usr/lib/openoffice/spadmin <E> then click "fonts"
to add some fonts.  However, even though there are 70 or so fonts that appear
in the Open Office Writer font list, there was only one font face listed by
spadmin -- OpenSymbol (opens___.ttf) -- and therefore, I could not use
'spadmin' to either delete or rename any of the fonts that Open Office lists.

I finally found that I could use: K(start) > Home > Fonts > System -- to
delete certain fonts ... but what can I do if I do not want to totally delete
any of those fonts, but rather I just want to temporarily relocate them so
I would have the option to restore them later, if desired?  So my next
question is:

QUESTION #2: How can I temporarily relocate some of the fonts that Open Office
lists in the font selection pop-up dialog so they will be removed from that
list but still be available to be restored later, if desired?

When I <right-click> in an Open Office Write document and then click <font>
I see a long list of about 70 fonts, many of which I have little if any use
for.  I would like to make that list that pops up shorter so it only includes
the fonts that I most often use, so I don't have to scroll down through a
bunch of fonts that I don't need to find the ones I want.

QUESTION #3: Where can I find all the font files on my system?

The K(start) > Home > Fonts > System location bar shows the location
as "fonts:/System" but I can not find that location from the command line.
When I use 'locate' to try to find the listed fonts, I cannot find them.

QUESTION #4: Why does this command: xset -q <E> fail to show a list
of font path locations?  This is all it shows:

	Font Path:
	  unix/:-1

QUESTION #5: Why does this command: /usr/sbin/chkfontpath <E> list all
these "Current directories in font path:" shown below, but I cannot
find some of the fonts that appear in the OpenOffice font list in any
of those locations?
1: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled
2: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont
3: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/Type1
4: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf
5: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled
6: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled
7: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
8: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
9: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
10: /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1
11: /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/adobestd35
12: /usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives
13: /usr/share/fonts/ttf/dejavu
14: /usr/share/fonts/ttf/western