Linux on laptops

Daniel Parraz daniyel95 at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 14:09:24 MST 2006

I am running Novell Suse 10.0 on my Toshiba A85-S107 with 1.4Celeron and 768RAM, and have really enjoyed the speed of the system and ease of usage. Setup of almost all hardware was done at setup, with eth0 and modem config lacking on the network side. Config of these was easy, but havent had a chance to test the modem - eth0 appears to operate at gigabit speed.

Updates are painless, burning bootable iso's or regular data cd's is nice, dvd playback has been funky due to the Novell version of media player, that doesn't like the plug-in for viewing protected dvd's...but the work around is just to get the non-Novell version from what I have read.

Only thing I wish was different, would be the wireless network tools. Seems like profiles are not used(havent found a way), so you have to keep a record/text file of SSID and wep keys that you have for multiple networks. An interface like the Nokia 770 I have would be nice, so that if the default WLAN is not found, it will search for other broadcasting and show the status of the AP, and chose one to connect to.

Otherwise, very satisfied at the ease of usage and improvements gnome has had in the last 4-5 years that I have used it.

Daniel Parraz

"Wagner, Steven G" <digital9ja at cox.net> wrote: >I have enjoyed using OpenSuse 10.0 the most on work stations and notebooks.
>I had not touched Suse for 10 years when I hated it.  I had no problem
>installing it and YaST has sure come a long way (very nice tool).  It seems
>to run quicker that Ubuntu, was not quiet as simplified as Ubuntu, but sure
>had a short learning curve.  I use YaST to configure wireless with Suse
>which works ok, but still think the wireless adapter configuration tools
are
>poor!

I'm running opensuse 10 on my dell 2200 inspiron (w/1.6ghz celeron m & 512mb
ram) and it's great. Initially, I had trouble finding any third party
repository servers for opensuse that were worth a $%*, but now I've got some
added in and can actually find, what I consider to be, basic binary builds.

I'm using my notebook with a Pasadena Networks 325HP+ wifi card and
regularly run Kismet, Ethereal and all the other usual pen-testing apps.
Also, I'm using it to study LAMP programming and run that stuff too. I
installed Debian, Fedora and Slackware on this machine before I finally
settled on opensuse 10. opensuse 10 configured everything perfectly (even
the synaptics touch pad which winxp didn't even configure correctly), I
loved the installer and I'm very happy with opensuse so far.

Lately, I've been wondering whether it would be better to just purchase SUSE
and get all the non-free goodies, but I'm going to keep searching for free
ways to duplicate a full SUSE install.

Here's the original article that convinced me to go with SUSE:
http://turing.sunyit.edu/nallalr/Files/SUSE_on_DELL/SUSE_on_DELL.htm

I'm planning to install Gentoo on this system eventually, but I want to do
it right and install and configure a broad variety of apps and protocols so
I'm going to hold off until I have about 9- 12 dedicated days to spend on
it. I'm really gellin' with opensuse so until I convert to Gentoo, I'm
riding it till the fans fall off!