Linux on laptops

Wagner, Steven G digital9ja at cox.net
Fri May 12 00:52:39 MST 2006

>I have enjoyed using OpenSuse 10.0 the most on work stations and notebooks.
>I had not touched Suse for 10 years when I hated it.  I had no problem
>installing it and YaST has sure come a long way (very nice tool).  It seems
>to run quicker that Ubuntu, was not quiet as simplified as Ubuntu, but sure
>had a short learning curve.  I use YaST to configure wireless with Suse
>which works ok, but still think the wireless adapter configuration tools
are
>poor!

I'm running opensuse 10 on my dell 2200 inspiron (w/1.6ghz celeron m & 512mb
ram) and it's great. Initially, I had trouble finding any third party
repository servers for opensuse that were worth a $%*, but now I've got some
added in and can actually find, what I consider to be, basic binary builds.

I'm using my notebook with a Pasadena Networks 325HP+ wifi card and
regularly run Kismet, Ethereal and all the other usual pen-testing apps.
Also, I'm using it to study LAMP programming and run that stuff too. I
installed Debian, Fedora and Slackware on this machine before I finally
settled on opensuse 10. opensuse 10 configured everything perfectly (even
the synaptics touch pad which winxp didn't even configure correctly), I
loved the installer and I'm very happy with opensuse so far.

Lately, I've been wondering whether it would be better to just purchase SUSE
and get all the non-free goodies, but I'm going to keep searching for free
ways to duplicate a full SUSE install.

Here's the original article that convinced me to go with SUSE:
http://turing.sunyit.edu/nallalr/Files/SUSE_on_DELL/SUSE_on_DELL.htm

I'm planning to install Gentoo on this system eventually, but I want to do
it right and install and configure a broad variety of apps and protocols so
I'm going to hold off until I have about 9- 12 dedicated days to spend on
it. I'm really gellin' with opensuse so until I convert to Gentoo, I'm
riding it till the fans fall off!