bnvidia, gl, & open source (was mini-rant)

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 14:02:38 MST 2006

So, speaking of open sourc vs.proprietary...
I have three non free items I use on my laptop:
1) windows broadcom drivers (via ndiswrapper)
2) adobe acrobat reader
3) nvidia drivers (although I'm not currently running
it on fc5)

1. The open source alternative for my built in wifi
card is out there, but not polished or packaged yet.
I'll be switching asap.

2. If someone can give me an alternative to acrobat,
I'd be happy to use it. It's likely something is out
there and I'm just not out there. And I need it to
work with firefox.

3. What do I do here? the nv driver works fine for
email and word processing, but not eye candy or the
occasional graphics work I do. (color accuracy could
be a matter of config stuff which I don't know. I use
an external monitor when doing graphics.) If there is
an open source driver for nvidia cards which supports
3d, I don't know about it.

For future reference, how is the 3d support for ati or
intel cards with free drivers? I need to replace my
desktop.

╔══╗
║ j≈
╚══╝