OT Mini-RANT: fc5: wifi & ndiswrapper

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Mar 29 02:54:33 MST 2006

der.hans wrote:

> If I were wanting to upgrade to a new graphics card what options are
> there? I looked around a bit today and it didn't look good. Maybe I was
> just looking in the wrong places.

There don't seem to be a lot of options.

> XGI and Via announced last year that they were going to release the
> source
> code for their drivers under the GPL. Via is something I've thought
> about,
> but everybody laughs at me when I suggest it...
>
> I found out about XGI recently because Brian told me that ATI is
> purchasing XGI. Looking around it looks like the source code for XGI
> still
> hasn't completely seen the light of day.
>
> The ATI Free Software drivers seem to be thought of as a bad joke.

They don't need to write drivers if they open the specs. ;)

> There are no Free Software drivers from nVidia. Perhaps X has some
> anyway.

Xorg has a generic "nv" driver, but you don't get many goodies using it.
That's what I'm using. No GL, etc. Perhaps a later version has added
features. I wish I'd opted for an ATI. I'd have more support than I do now.

> BTW, I think Broadcom is in Scottsdale. Should we go picket the office
> for
> a few days? :)

Sounds like fun. We need something good to write on the signs...

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |