bnvidia, gl, & open source (was mini-rant)

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:20:43 MST 2006

As far as broadcom chipsets, alot of them have the firmware pumped
into the chip at insertion. :(  ndiswrapper I *hear* works, but I
never bothered enough to try.

As far as adobe acrobat, there is an acrobat reader by Adobe for
Linux.  Of course there is also xpdf.

As far as nvidia drivers, go to nvidia.com and download the linux
drivers.  Yeah, they are 3D, but not officially "open".  BUT they
work.

ATI just SUCKS driver-wise, and Intel's middle of the road.

--Dan

On 3/29/06, Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, speaking of open sourc vs.proprietary...
> I have three non free items I use on my laptop:
> 1) windows broadcom drivers (via ndiswrapper)
> 2) adobe acrobat reader
> 3) nvidia drivers (although I'm not currently running
> it on fc5)
>
> 1. The open source alternative for my built in wifi
> card is out there, but not polished or packaged yet.
> I'll be switching asap.
>
> 2. If someone can give me an alternative to acrobat,
> I'd be happy to use it. It's likely something is out
> there and I'm just not out there. And I need it to
> work with firefox.
>
> 3. What do I do here? the nv driver works fine for
> email and word processing, but not eye candy or the
> occasional graphics work I do. (color accuracy could
> be a matter of config stuff which I don't know. I use
> an external monitor when doing graphics.) If there is
> an open source driver for nvidia cards which supports
> 3d, I don't know about it.
>
> For future reference, how is the 3d support for ati or
> intel cards with free drivers? I need to replace my
> desktop.
>

> ╔══╗
> ║ j≈
> ╚══╝

"There are no wise few. Every aristocracy that has ever existed has
behaved, in all essential points, exactly like a small mob."
- GK Chesterton