svn ignore

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 9 22:31:12 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 21:58 -0700, Jerry Davis wrote:
> On Thursday 09 March 2006 07:20 pm, Craig White wrote:
> > This doesn't make sense to me and the svnbook is a bit unclear and I'm
> > obviously unfamiliar with svn..
> >
> > $ svn propset svn:ignore -F config/environment.rb
> >
> > svn: Explicit target argument required
> >
> > I really want to ignore the entire config directory...
> >
> > $ svn propset svn:ignore -R config
> >
> > svn: Explicit target required ('config' interpreted as prop value)
> >
> > obviously it is not considering what I am providing to be explicit
> > targets
> >
> > $ svn propset svn:ignore -R ON config
> > property 'svn:ignore' set (recursively) on 'config'
> >
> > OK, it looks like I got it...
> >
> > $ svn status
> > M      app/controllers/placements_controller.rb
> > M      app/views/layouts/placements.rhtml
> > M      log/development.log
> >  M     config
> > M      config/database.yml
> > M      config/environment.rb
> >  M     config/environments
> >
> > looks like I don't got it...does the space in front of config and
> > config/* mean something?  It suggests in svnbook that 'ignored' files
> > won't show in svn status at all?
>
> <space>M means that this file has a property change but not a content change
>
> I believe that svn status would show a ? for the file. So it apparently
> worked.
----
it's a little daunting to get started with svn and of course, I don't
want to hammer my live code in the process.

The http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.1
clearly suggests that they should be removed from my view in 'svn
status' but I suspect that might apply if the items were there as a
result of the check out in the first place.

I think I am going to start over for a number of reasons, not the least
of which, one of the people on a rails list actually reduced using svn
with rails to a blog which is helpful for newbies like me.

As an overall theory though...do I get this right? (pseudo code)...

mkdir svn-repository
import working directory
cd working directory
checkout
from home computer checkout
make changes, commit (puts the changes into svn-repository)
back to working directory on server
checkout and commit to get latest code functional in working directory

thus my home computer (where I make changes) and my working directory
(where I actually run the code) both checkout code from the repository.

does that generally describe the process as I believe it to be the way
things work?

Craig