svn ignore

Jerry Davis jdawgaz at cox.net
Thu Mar 9 21:58:36 MST 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 07:20 pm, Craig White wrote:
> This doesn't make sense to me and the svnbook is a bit unclear and I'm
> obviously unfamiliar with svn..
>
> $ svn propset svn:ignore -F config/environment.rb
>
> svn: Explicit target argument required
>
> I really want to ignore the entire config directory...
>
> $ svn propset svn:ignore -R config
>
> svn: Explicit target required ('config' interpreted as prop value)
>
> obviously it is not considering what I am providing to be explicit
> targets
>
> $ svn propset svn:ignore -R ON config
> property 'svn:ignore' set (recursively) on 'config'
>
> OK, it looks like I got it...
>
> $ svn status
> M      app/controllers/placements_controller.rb
> M      app/views/layouts/placements.rhtml
> M      log/development.log
>  M     config
> M      config/database.yml
> M      config/environment.rb
>  M     config/environments
>
> looks like I don't got it...does the space in front of config and
> config/* mean something?  It suggests in svnbook that 'ignored' files
> won't show in svn status at all?

<space>M means that this file has a property change but not a content change

I believe that svn status would show a ? for the file. So it apparently
worked.

> What am I missing?
>
> Craig

Hobbit Name: Pimpernel Loamsdown
Registered Linux User: 275424

This email's random fortune: "Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect, _Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_