Compaq DL380: Fan speed

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue Jun 27 14:40:12 MST 2006

Darrin Chandler said:

>> Is this a way to force enterpize hardware upgrades?  Only support the OS
>> version that was relatively current when the hardware was released so
>> that
>> upgraded software forces a new hardware purchase.  Nice business model,
>> guess, but it feels like a hardware upgrade treadmill for the customer.
>
> Well, G1 *is* getting pretty old, isn't it?

Yes, well, I am perhaps a bit strong on the treadmill accusation.  There
is probably a bisiness case that clearly shows the G1 as too old to use
past the useful life of the supported OSes.  In which case, it is not HP's
treadmill but a financial decision.

Which is why it was dropped in our lap.  And I hope to use Linux's ability
to effectively use older hardware to get some real use out of this heavy
thing.

> BTW, I ran across some stuff talking about setting the OS type in BIOS
> or with SmartStart CD. Setting the OS to Linux will change the behavior
> a bit so that some things work. Don't know if that applies on G1, but
> it's worth a look see.

We did not get any documentation or CDs.  I'll have to download and try
things.

The nice thing about this is that the computer is not in use and doesn't
have any real time pressure to get it going.  So, if I load some
driver/whatever that messes stuff up, I can just start over if needed.
It's "only" spare time.

Maybe the CentOS version that matches a supported REL version of the
newest HP support software will work on the old hardware...  I'll find out
this week since that seems the most reasonable next thing to try if I want
a current OS on the thing.

Alan