reading ntfs with redhat 9.0

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jun 25 17:12:16 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 14:41 -0700, betty wrote:
> i backed up all my files to an ext hdd last month. the ntfs files from
> the  m$ computer are just my photos. i was hoping to 'read' them with my
> redhat 9 computer in the mountains over this summer, BUT apparently i
> need to get a tar.gz file or something for RH to read ntfs. :(
> is there an easier way to do the same thing? like maybe i should re-save
> them as fat files or something?
> thanks
----
Red Hat has never included the ntfs kernel module fearing that Microsoft
patents might be infringed so it has always been a 3rd party solution
which others have pointed out, is available for a number of distro's
through ntfs.sourceforge.net - but considering how old RHL 9 is now and
not much development for 2.4 kernel stuff, the suggestions for using a
knoppix or ubuntu live CD that has that kernel module included and a USB
disk are probably the best ideas.

Better yet, boot into Windows and burn them on a CD

Craig