reading ntfs with redhat 9.0

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Sun Jun 25 18:18:38 MST 2006

betty wrote:
> i backed up all my files to an ext hdd last month. the ntfs files from
> the  m$ computer are just my photos. i was hoping to 'read' them with my
> redhat 9 computer in the mountains over this summer, BUT apparently i
> need to get a tar.gz file or something for RH to read ntfs. :(
> is there an easier way to do the same thing? like maybe i should re-save
> them as fat files or something?
> thanks

Betty,

I'd like to be sure of what you really have. You certainly don't have
ntfs files. I'm guessing from what you said that your ext hdd has an
ntfs filesystem (the files themselves aren't ntfs). I don't mean to be
picky, but it's important to be clear.

Rather than trying to get RH9 to read an ntfs filesystem, I would
suggest removing the ntfs filesystem from the ext hdd, and create a
fat32 partition on it, then format it, then back up (copy) your files to
it. (Note, be sure to copy your pics off of the ext hdd before removing
the ntfs partition if you don't still have them on another drive.) RH9
would then have no problem reading and/or writing to it. General rule of
thumb is that if you want to share files between linux and windoze, use
a fat32 (vfat in linux lingo) filesystem.

--
-Eric 'shubes'