Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 Upgrade Experience

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Tue Jun 6 14:14:16 MST 2006

der.hans wrote:
> Am 06. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Austin Godber so:
>
>> Then again ... update-manager just hosed my install at the pcmcia-cs
>> package point.  Thats OK ... I knew i was taking the cheap way out and
>> not even logging out of X to do my upgrade ... Its time for a reinstall
>
> Shouldn't need to log out of X to do a dist-upgrade. After the upgrade
> maybe, but not to do it.
>
>> anyway, its been a few years.
>
> Shouldn't need to reinstall. Boxen should be installed once unless you're
> changing distros. Heck, maybe not even then. I'm thinking about trying to
> go from sarge to dapper.

Well, the reinstall versus fix debate for me always centers on the
amount of time one is willing to spend and what they want to do.  I
didn't even want to bother to find out why my machine choked (better
things to do).  But as it turns out the issue is well known so they tell
me everything I need to do to fix the pcmcia problem (which is the part
I didn't want to do ... WHY on earth would I want to figure out why
installing pcmcia-cs on my freaking desktop is a problem ... it
shouldn't even be there ... had it ASKED me ... which thankfully it
didn't otherwise I would be there all week (consider a 1996 debian
install) ... ) rambling ...

Anyway, they tell me how to fix the pcmcia problem ... and of course
once I have it up to some extent ... debian derived distros fail pretty
gracefully .... once you are back up ... apt-get -f install fixes lots
of problems.

I tend to diverge from the distro every now and again and I don't keep
track of those changes on my home desktop ... so a fresh install feels
good on that machine every now and again.  Not to mention ... it only
takes about 15 minutes of my time to install fresh.

So, needless to say ... I will fix the pcmcia problem and fininsh the
dist upgrade.  They did a good job.  I have just gotten extremely lazy
WRT home IT.

Austin