VPS Command Line Tutorials

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jul 2 20:59:49 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 20:45 -0700, Alex Dean wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2006, at 3:49 PM, keith smith wrote:
>
> > I opted to not have a control panel because I hope to learn.
>
> There's no better way! :)  You may have trouble finding an 'all in
> one' howto on these diverse topics.  Probably better to look for more
> focused articles, and stitch together the skills you need for your
> situation.
>
> > What I would like to learn is how to create Zone files,
>
> If you're just getting started, I think DNS can be a pretty hairy
> animal.  (I still prefer to let someone else handle mine.)  There's a
> great free service at everydns.net which will allow you to control
> just about everything you need to for your DNS.  I've had DNS for
> many production sites with them for years with no trouble.  Just an
> idea.
>
> Here's some search results I just found :
> http://www.freeos.com/articles/3956/
> http://www.cramsession.com/articles/files/dns-demystified---the-
> zon-9172003-0852.asp
>
> > Apache Vhost configurations,
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/ (for Apache 2.0.  The 1.3
> version is basically the same.)
> The O'Reilly "Apache Cookbook" has a really great set of tutorials on
> virtual hosting.
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/apacheckbk/
>
> > FTP configurations, and modify email accounts ETC from the command
> > line.
>
> These 2 are going to depend on which FTP server and which mail server
> you are using.  You may say "which one should I use?" and the
> response will probably be "what do you want to use it for?".  Your
> server setup probably has something installed already, so maybe
> getting started with those is a good idea.  If you can figure out
> which ones they are, you can try the man pages or web searches for
> tutorials.
----
I run dns for internal lans but not exposed to the Internet because you
have to get deeper into it. I might suggest installing webmin
http://www.webmin.com but that evidently isn't the point of the
exercise.

I would suggest that both Apache and BIND are mature, stable and well
documented on their respective web sites and that would certainly be the
definitive documentation and possibly the best place to start unless you
are looking for a walkthru in which case, perhaps webmin isn't such a
bad idea.

Craig