VPS Command Line Tutorials

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Sun Jul 2 20:45:36 MST 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 3:49 PM, keith smith wrote:

> I opted to not have a control panel because I hope to learn.

There's no better way! :)  You may have trouble finding an 'all in
one' howto on these diverse topics.  Probably better to look for more
focused articles, and stitch together the skills you need for your
situation.

> What I would like to learn is how to create Zone files,

If you're just getting started, I think DNS can be a pretty hairy
animal.  (I still prefer to let someone else handle mine.)  There's a
great free service at everydns.net which will allow you to control
just about everything you need to for your DNS.  I've had DNS for
many production sites with them for years with no trouble.  Just an
idea.

Here's some search results I just found :
http://www.freeos.com/articles/3956/
http://www.cramsession.com/articles/files/dns-demystified---the-
zon-9172003-0852.asp

> Apache Vhost configurations,

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/ (for Apache 2.0.  The 1.3
version is basically the same.)
The O'Reilly "Apache Cookbook" has a really great set of tutorials on
virtual hosting.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/apacheckbk/

> FTP configurations, and modify email accounts ETC from the command
> line.

These 2 are going to depend on which FTP server and which mail server
you are using.  You may say "which one should I use?" and the
response will probably be "what do you want to use it for?".  Your
server setup probably has something installed already, so maybe
getting started with those is a good idea.  If you can figure out
which ones they are, you can try the man pages or web searches for
tutorials.

alex
.