RHEL/CentOS Repository clues

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jan 19 14:58:46 MST 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Craig White wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 22:41 -0700, Victor Odhner wrote:
>> Oops, I missed part of this:

> I'm missing something in the translation though obvious Russ is more
> knowledgeable than I.
>
> I had gathered that you ended up installing php-5.0.4-5 from CentOS plus
> repository of CentOS and in looking, I definitely see php-mysql for that
> version.
>
> http://mirrors.easynews.com//linux/centos/4/centosplus/i386/RPMS/

thanks, easynews (nice guys, up in Cave Creek, as I recall)

> perhaps all you need is to execute a yum command such as...
>
> yum --enablerepo=centosplus install php-mysql-5.0.4-5

true enough - that repository is an adjunct for testing and
folks desiring the bleeding edge ... and willing to dink
around a bit

> As for building binary rpms from source rpms...that should be rather
> simple...
>
> wget
> http://mirrors.easynews.com//linux/centos/4/centosplus/SRPMS/php-5.0.4-5.centos4.src.rpm
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild php-5.0.4-5.centos4.src.rpm

building as root is, at this late date, pretty bad form.  see
my scriptlet at:

  http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/buildtree/

... some other packages are in the buildchain for php-5 on
centos-4, but they are readily enough solveable.  we solve
this and like propblems in the IRC channel (which is not to my
knowledge, presently archived publicly) daily.

-- Russ Herrold