plug] RHEL/CentOS Repository clues

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 13 23:24:18 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 22:41 -0700, Victor Odhner wrote:
> Oops, I missed part of this:
>
> Russ Herrold wrote:
>
> > the php source RPM contains what is needed to produce the binary
> > sub-package 'php-mysql'
>
> I didn't notice that you referred to the *source* RPM.
>
> I don't know how to do an install starting from a source RPM. In fact I
> did gamely download an SRPM, php 4.3.9-something, but none of the
> source names seemed to relate to mysql. I saw no config file and no
> Makefile. But I didn't dig through the spec file or look inside the sources.
>
> My understanding of SRPMs is that they are meant to be used to build
> arch-specific RPMs. So I'm sure all the pieces were there, but it looked
> like more hacking than would have been appropriate for this box.
>
> I'm trying to avoid do-it-yourself installs on this system, though I've got
> lots of them on my home system. As long as I stick with RPMs I can
> find out what I have. Otherwise I could wind up in dependency hell . . .
> I risk that at home because I can just scrap it all if it gets too
> messy. :-)
----
I'm missing something in the translation though obvious Russ is more
knowledgeable than I.

I had gathered that you ended up installing php-5.0.4-5 from CentOS plus
repository of CentOS and in looking, I definitely see php-mysql for that
version.

http://mirrors.easynews.com//linux/centos/4/centosplus/i386/RPMS/

perhaps all you need is to execute a yum command such as...

yum --enablerepo=centosplus install php-mysql-5.0.4-5

As for building binary rpms from source rpms...that should be rather
simple...

wget
http://mirrors.easynews.com//linux/centos/4/centosplus/SRPMS/php-5.0.4-5.centos4.src.rpm

rpmbuild --rebuild php-5.0.4-5.centos4.src.rpm

and (assuming i386) the binaries would end up
in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 and you could install any/all

Craig