plug] RHEL/CentOS Repository clues

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Fri Jan 13 22:41:33 MST 2006

Oops, I missed part of this:

Russ Herrold wrote:

> the php source RPM contains what is needed to produce the binary
> sub-package 'php-mysql'

I didn't notice that you referred to the *source* RPM.

I don't know how to do an install starting from a source RPM. In fact I
did gamely download an SRPM, php 4.3.9-something, but none of the
source names seemed to relate to mysql. I saw no config file and no
Makefile. But I didn't dig through the spec file or look inside the sources.

My understanding of SRPMs is that they are meant to be used to build
arch-specific RPMs. So I'm sure all the pieces were there, but it looked
like more hacking than would have been appropriate for this box.

I'm trying to avoid do-it-yourself installs on this system, though I've got
lots of them on my home system. As long as I stick with RPMs I can
find out what I have. Otherwise I could wind up in dependency hell . . .
I risk that at home because I can just scrap it all if it gets too
messy. :-)

Thanks again,

Vic