?: Cox vs QWEST

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Mon Feb 13 22:36:33 MST 2006

   I'm on the East Side of Central (close to 32nd st & McDowell). I've
had my moment's with Cox, quite a few... sporadic up & down, bad tv
signal. But, mysteriously after I complained almost every night for a
week straight, they called me up and said something to the effect of "We
made some billing changes and have a tech out there straightening things
out for us..." (wha? ... and why wasn't this done before?)

   Now, my 'net connection has been fairly solid (down once in the past
3 weeks), my tv clear, and my phone works. My 'net connection is faster,
and I believe they actually did increase the speed as they claimed, and
they also block ANY port 25 traffic (in/out), and port 80.  I haven't
tried any other ports, but I hope they'd block windows ports, I don't
want my neighbor seeing my systems, not that I'd let them).

    My phone is another story, at one point they thought I cancelled my
phone service, then I called them and screamed, and that was fixed, then
the voicemail and "extras" had to be reprogrammed into the router my
phone went into... add another 2 days. Again, it's fine now, and clear
as a whistle. Someone else mentioned using their cell for Long
Distance... I do that as well as Cox seems adamant about $.05/min for
any long distance.

   I have the full digital package, Digital TV with 100's of channels,
digital phone and Basic Internet ... $99.95 (+$20 in fees and taxes).
I'm new to AZ, and have yet to have Qwest, but I've had these problems
with almost any provider, except the one I worked for in NY.  I agree
with someone else's quote with a slight modification: "they all suck,
pick the one you have the least".

Just my two, long winded, coppers...

    Tony