?: Cox vs QWEST

Randy Melder randymelder at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 06:40:23 MST 2006

Just an FYI, Cox has discontinued support for the Toshiba DOCSIS modems. I
switched to a new modem and the speed is about 2 times faster now.

; )

On 2/13/06, John Seth <johnseth at phoenixwing.com> wrote:

>    I'm on the East Side of Central (close to 32nd st & McDowell). I've
> had my moment's with Cox, quite a few... sporadic up & down, bad tv
> signal. But, mysteriously after I complained almost every night for a
> week straight, they called me up and said something to the effect of "We
> made some billing changes and have a tech out there straightening things
> out for us..." (wha? ... and why wasn't this done before?)
>
>    Now, my 'net connection has been fairly solid (down once in the past
> 3 weeks), my tv clear, and my phone works. My 'net connection is faster,
> and I believe they actually did increase the speed as they claimed, and
> they also block ANY port 25 traffic (in/out), and port 80.  I haven't
> tried any other ports, but I hope they'd block windows ports, I don't
> want my neighbor seeing my systems, not that I'd let them).
>
>     My phone is another story, at one point they thought I cancelled my
> phone service, then I called them and screamed, and that was fixed, then
> the voicemail and "extras" had to be reprogrammed into the router my
> phone went into... add another 2 days. Again, it's fine now, and clear
> as a whistle. Someone else mentioned using their cell for Long
> Distance... I do that as well as Cox seems adamant about $.05/min for
> any long distance.
>
>    I have the full digital package, Digital TV with 100's of channels,
> digital phone and Basic Internet ... $99.95 (+$20 in fees and taxes).
> I'm new to AZ, and have yet to have Qwest, but I've had these problems
> with almost any provider, except the one I worked for in NY.  I agree
> with someone else's quote with a slight modification: "they all suck,
> pick the one you have the least".
>
> Just my two, long winded, coppers...
>
>     Tony
>

> Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > On Feb 13, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Mark Jarvis wrote:
> >> 3) QWEST promises download speed of 1+ MByte/sec. (This doesn't sound
> >> correct to me--I thought that DSL was slower, but . . .)
> >
> > That doesn't sound right.  Maybe 1MBit/s or so would be more likely.  I
> > don't think I've ever seen any network throughput advertised in
> > megabytes per second.  Cox is typically thought of as the faster service
> > and I think it offers 5 MBit/s.  1 MByte/s would be (roughly!) 8 MBit/s.
> >
> > Hrm.. now that I think of it, Cox bumped their download speed a few
> > months back.  I wonder if they are more than 8 MBit/s these days.  I do
> > know that my downloads have been noticeably faster.  In the past, I was
> > happy with 450KByte/s but now I often get over 600KByte/s
> >
> > Kurt

..::Randy Melder::..

Need Internet programming and multimedia?
http://www.spininternetmedia.com/

Need a domain name and/or economy hosting?
http://spindomains.us/