/home

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Feb 13 10:08:42 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 08:38 -0800, bmike101 at cox.net wrote:
> >  Mike, do this
> > sudo mount
>
> don't you mean 'sudo rm -f *'? :P
>
> Seriously though, with a livecd in and the hd with the
> root partition not mounted I can mount the partition
> with /home and seee stuff that was recently put there.
>
> Perhaps I stated it wrong.....
> 'ln -s /mnt/hda4 /home' will make /hda4 my home partition?
> (provided I have the proper line in fstab -1-)
>
> So then 'ln -s /mnt/hda4 /home' makes the computer put '/
> home' on '/mnt/hda4' so the result is '/mnt/hda4/home'? I
> think this is correct.
>
> -1-
> /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
----
yeah it's mounted but it ain't your /home

you can verify that by looking at the file date & times...

for example...from your login, create a file... touch ~/test.file and
save it in your home directory...

ls -l ~/test.file

will show the file

ls -l /mnt/nda4/test.file

will not show the file

btw...you won't be able to ln -s /mnt/hda4 /home because it exists and
has data in it. You are barking up the wrong tree. And, as you will
undoubtedly find in my example above, /home exists and isn't /mnt/hda4

Craig