/home

bmike101 at cox.net bmike101 at cox.net
Mon Feb 13 09:38:31 MST 2006

>  Mike, do this
> sudo mount

don't you mean 'sudo rm -f *'? :P

Seriously though, with a livecd in and the hd with the
root partition not mounted I can mount the partition
with /home and seee stuff that was recently put there.

Perhaps I stated it wrong.....
'ln -s /mnt/hda4 /home' will make /hda4 my home partition?
(provided I have the proper line in fstab -1-)

So then 'ln -s /mnt/hda4 /home' makes the computer put '/
home' on '/mnt/hda4' so the result is '/mnt/hda4/home'? I
think this is correct.

-1-
/dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1

> I think he already has data in /home and I don't know
that he is correct
> in thinking that his /home is on a separate partition
but if it already

wrote:
> > The proper use of ln -s is to first list the target
you are
> > linking to, and then the name of the link. So the
following
> > would be correct for creating the link /home:
> >
> > ln -s /mnt/hda4 /home
> >
> > NAME
> >        ln - make links between files
> >
> > SYNOPSIS
> >        ln [OPTION]... TARGET [LINK_NAME]
> >        ln [OPTION]... TARGET... DIRECTORY
> >        ln [OPTION]... --target-directory=DIRECTORY
TARGET...

> > On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 05:32 -0800, bmike101 at cox.net
wrote:
> > > I want to reload mepis my old distro because of the
> > > problems burning a new version. My /home is on it's
own
> > > partition. I don't remember how to tell Mepis the
location
> > > of /home (hda4). Is it 'ln -s <current /home> /mnt/
hda4'
> > > or is it 'ln -s /mnt/hda4 <current /home>'? I think
it is
After

PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> > > To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change  you mail
settings:
plug-discuss

PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us

PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us