/home

Gerard Snitselaar snits at snitselaar.org
Mon Feb 13 10:30:19 MST 2006

No, 'ln -s /mnt/hda4 /home' wouldn't put /home on /mnt/hda4 it
would create the link /home -> /mnt/hda4 . Which would mean
when you cd to /home, what you would be seeing is the contents of
/mnt/hda4/ . A symbolic link just points the the location of something
else. Depending on the length of the path being linked it either gets
stored in the inode itself or in the file.

Yes you could mount the partition with home wherever
you want and see what is in there. I know nothing about mepis
and its desire to mount everything as /mnt/hd*, so I can't help
with what kind of entry you would need in /etc/fstab. Is it already
mounted? /mnt/hda4 sounds like a mount point for /dev/hda4. I am
guessing if it is not mounted, what you really need to mount is
/dev/hda4. Use the mount command as Craig suggested and see what
exactly is mounted and where. If it is not mounted then you can
mount it wherever you want to look at it.