Looking for a Name Resolution solution

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 20 22:34:49 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 05:08 +0000, Dale Farnsworth wrote:

> > > dnsmasq provides proxy services to the isp's dns, as you say.  But, it
> > > simultaneously will resolve queries machines listed in /etc/hosts.  It
> > > works quite well for a small network.
> > ----
> > I was referring to appliance devices e.g. WRT54G - once you are talking
> > about dnsmasq, you have left the realm.
>
> Dazed was talking about running openwrt (containing dnsmasq) on a WRT54GL,
> running dnsmasq.  I thought that's what you were referring to.  The
> hardware's appliance grade, though the software's not.  I have some
> WRT54GS units (8MB flash, 32MB ram) running openwrt.  They supply local
> 802.11g, firewall, dhcp, dnsproxy, and more.  Not bad for $60.00.  Too
> bad the version they sell now is stripped down.
----
OK - I didn't realize that openwrt used dnsmasq
----

> > >From my own perspective, I ALWAYS run a local mail server, even at home,
> > even when I am the only user because I can attach to it via any IMAP
> > client from any system (Linux/Mac/Windows), I can run server based rules
> > (sieve), I have spamassassin checking/tagging e-mail upon receipt, I
> > have clamav, etc. processing e-mail upon receipt.
> >
> > Running local mail server means having local dns - real dns with mx
> > records
>
> Agreed.  I do that too, but these days I have my router/firewall,
> external server, and internal server on different machines.
----
and I don't run anything like dns/dhcp on any router/firewall either and
generally use an old system running ipcop myself and have an internal
server handling the other stuff I mentioned myself too...which is sort
of why I have never bothered with openwrt - simply because there is
always a machine around that can handle ipcop and it takes about 5
minutes to d/l latest version of ipcop, 2 minutes to burn it on cd, 5
minutes to boot/install and another 2 minutes to configure.

For the effort, I get simple VPN, multiple red ip addresses (if needed),
orange DMZ (if needed), Blue DMZ (if needed), simple port forwarding (if
needed), proxy (if needed), snort and logging.

To be honest, I wouldn't have known that ipcop used ISC's DHCP (and I
presume ISC's BIND) if I hadn't logged in to check the contents
of /var/ipcop/dhcp/dhcpd.conf earlier in this thread because I have
never used either in ipcop.

Thanks

Craig