looking for ecommerce kit

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Aug 9 13:29:38 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 13:02 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>    I volunteered to help a friend get his ecommerce
> site started, but I don't have free time to play
> around with it or write a custom site. I originally
> picked one based on asp.net, but it takes more work
> than I have time to get it usable for him.
----
no good deed goes unpunished...I think all 'e-commerce' packages are
going to fall into this category
----

>    Can anyone recomend a kit that is easy for a
> less-savy person to use and is quick to set up? It
> needs to be ready to take orders and collect payment.
> If not, then the second choise is to get a kit to
> allow him to market his product online.
----
Have him sign up on a virtual web host system that is set up to provide
all of this for him - pick a template and run with it.

e-commerce doesn't just work with a casual administrative effort since
there are so many disciplines involved, necessary to stay on top of for
security risks and when it comes down to it, choosing from a template is
never going to give you the feel of a custom web site anyway. Then you
have to deal with SSL Certificates, regulations on storing credit card
information, agreement with banks/paypal/etc. for handling credit card
transactions and if you're not willing to make the commitment to the
time and energy to do it, use a web host that will do it all for you
(i.e. godaddy.com)

Craig