Installed SUSE 9.3 w/ 15" LCD, then swapped to 17" LCD... res limited to 1024x

Ben apacino at asulug.org
Sun Sep 25 23:30:30 MST 2005

Run sax2 logged in as root. There should be an option in there to set
whether the display manager is on or not by default at boot.

SuSE moves default settings in /etc around a bit more compared to other
distros, but a possible alternative is to look for something similar to the
following information in the file /etc/inittab (this example is not from a
SuSE box, though it might look exactly the same, at least the instructions
if not the actual config line itself also; NOTE: edit this file only if sax2
and yast - mentioned below - don't give you the option to make this change;
SuSE almost seems to punish a user who forgoes the GUI/TUI route without
knowing very well how SuSE changed the locations of things in /etc and
/etc/sysconfig/*):
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

SuSE's default runlevel line might look different than the above, but the
import part of it is the numeric value after 'id:'. If this is set to '3',
change it to '5', as explained in the file just above the line. NOTE: There
may be a default in SuSE's config files managed by sax2. BTW earlier
versions of SuSE included a TUI yast you can also run as root in text mode.
Type yast (and hit the tab key twice, to see if the *real* command to use is
yast2; its been a while since I've had to this from command line, back to
version 8.2 at least) ONLY IF the answer does not lie with sax2.

PS: To work in X, use startx to start X from runlevel 3

--
-------
Ben