Installed SUSE 9.3 w/ 15" LCD, then swapped to 17" LCD... res limited to 1024x

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Sun Sep 25 19:21:32 MST 2005

On Sep 25, 2005, at 6:31 PM, Bupkus wrote:
> Bupkus wrote:
>> Doesn't system detect hardware at boot?  Shouldn't Control
>> Center>Peripherals>Display provide a "Screen size" option in the
>> drop-down that reflects the sensed monitor capabilities?
>>

> I ran xf86config and now it only boots into text mode.  Just as in
> the past with older versions of linux, whenever I'm in a corner and
> unable to make what should be simple adjustments, I end up re-
> installing the OS.  This is why I have backed away from linux so
> many times over the years .

Heh.. it's possible that the reason you had problems with this is
because you've tried this in Linux in the past.  If you had been a
true Linux newbie, you would (hopefully) had used YaST to do this and
would have found that it works great.

Really, working with X these days is pretty trivial.  Much MUCH
easier than in the past, in any event.  With standard equipment, the
only way to mess things up is to edit the files by hand or use a low-
level utility like xf86config.  Any high-level utility like YaST (or
SAX, actually) will take care of everything with just a few clicks.