Need help mounting floppy

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Sat Sep 24 13:52:28 MST 2005

On Saturday 24 September 2005 01:27 pm Kenneth kindly wrote:
> --- Siri Amrit Kaur <tigerflag at tigerflag.com> wrote:
> > This is really bad... something's very wrong.
> >
> > mount /floppy
> > error is mount: no permission
> >
> > Changing the icon to /floppy or using the
> > commandline to
> > cd /floppy
> >
> > I can't even make it to "ls". It just hangs with
> > endless I/O errors.
> > It's crashing X, making my icons disappear. It runs
> > in the background
> > and I can't stop it, even by logging out, going into
> > root and doing a
> > telinit 1. Doesn't care if I pop out the disk...
> >
> > I/O error. dev fd), sector 0 (also sector 2, 4,
> > etc...)
> > EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> > end_request: unable to read superblock
> > FAT: unable to read boot sector
> > end-request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0 (& etc...)
> >
> > help.
>
> Do you have any sort of auto mounting enabled?  I find
> those interfere so much with the way I want to use
> floppies and cdroms, I disable them all :)

This is what my fstab _was_:

/dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0

I changed umask to 000 (everybody can read and write) but it didn't do
change anything.

Went to kanotix's help forum and someone else had a similar problem.
Kano recommended changing the fstab line to read:

none /floppy supermount fs=auto,dev=/dev/fd0,--,user,rw 0 0

So I did.

> Does the floppy actually have a vfat filesystem on it?
> Although it shouldn't do serious things with your
> desktop, etc. if not, you never know.

I don't know. This is the 2nd floppy I've tried, though.

> Does the floppy drive work?  What happens if you type
> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null bs=4099
> (before trying to mount it)

tigerflag at localhost:~$ dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null bs=4099
dd: reading `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 24.368823 seconds (0 bytes/sec)

I've got something very unstable happening now because of this.
Konqueror keeps locking up if I use the navigation panel, like some
process in the background is taking up a lot of CPU cycles or RAM.

Thanks for your help.

Siri Amrit