Need help mounting floppy

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 14:32:53 MST 2005

--- Siri Amrit Kaur <tigerflag at tigerflag.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 24 September 2005 01:27 pm Kenneth
> kindly wrote:
> > --- Siri Amrit Kaur <tigerflag at tigerflag.com>
> wrote:
> > > This is really bad... something's very wrong.
> > >
> > > mount /floppy
> > > error is mount: no permission
> > >
> > > Changing the icon to /floppy or using the
> > > commandline to
> > > cd /floppy
> > >
> > > I can't even make it to "ls". It just hangs with
> > > endless I/O errors.
> > > It's crashing X, making my icons disappear. It
> runs
> > > in the background
> > > and I can't stop it, even by logging out, going
> into
> > > root and doing a
> > > telinit 1. Doesn't care if I pop out the disk...
> > >
> > > I/O error. dev fd), sector 0 (also sector 2, 4,
> > > etc...)
> > > EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> > > end_request: unable to read superblock
> > > FAT: unable to read boot sector
> > > end-request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0 (&
> etc...)
> > >
> > > help.
> >
> > Do you have any sort of auto mounting enabled?  I
> find
> > those interfere so much with the way I want to use
> > floppies and cdroms, I disable them all :)
> >
> This is what my fstab _was_:
>
> /dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat
>  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
>
> I changed umask to 000 (everybody can read and
> write) but it didn't do
> change anything.
>
> Went to kanotix's help forum and someone else had a
> similar problem.
> Kano recommended changing the fstab line to read:
>
> none /floppy supermount
> fs=auto,dev=/dev/fd0,--,user,rw 0 0
>
> So I did.
>
> > Does the floppy actually have a vfat filesystem on
> it?
> > Although it shouldn't do serious things with your
> > desktop, etc. if not, you never know.
> >
> I don't know. This is the 2nd floppy I've tried,
> though.
>
> > Does the floppy drive work?  What happens if you
> type
> > dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null bs=4099
> > (before trying to mount it)
> >
> tigerflag at localhost:~$ dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null
> bs=4099
> dd: reading `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> 0 bytes transferred in 24.368823 seconds (0
> bytes/sec)

I think this eliminates problems with some automounter
trying to use the device (in which case I think you
would get a message that it could not be opened, or
permission denied), and shows the problem is deeper
than just whether the floppy has a filesystem on it.

Its possible something was left in a confused state
from previous attempts.  As much as I hate to
recommend rebooting, I would reboot into run level 1,
check boot messages for anything regarding floppy, try
the dd command again.  If dd says it transfers 360
blocks, then at least the driver and hardware are in
order.