jobs & salaries

June Tate june at theonelab.com
Fri Sep 16 09:47:20 MST 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 12:42:54PM -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:

>   One area I've still see MS more favorably is in
> development. Part of that is because I've been doing
> it for a little while. (Ok, maybe more than a little.)
> While I like Eclipse, I haven't seen dev tools that
> come close to Visual Studio even with it's stupid
> annoyances. Although, CVS has got to be better than
> SourceSafe; that's what I call crap.

If you're working with .Net or Mono, try MonoDevelop -- it's a very
competant development environment and is improving all the time.

As for CVS, even the developers claim it's an almost broken
implementation of a version control system they had
envisioned. So instead of continuing on with it, they developed a
completely new product called Subversion, which is MUCH more capable
than CVS ever was -- merging and branching has never been so easy.

Even with Subversion and MonoDevelop, however, the biggest thing about
Linux and the open source world is that (like Perl) "there's more than
one way to do it" and you have a huge variety of development software
to choose from. If you don't like Subversion try GNU Arch, or darcs,
or even git. Don't like MonoDevelop? Try using NetBeans, Eclipse, or
something else.

There is literally a whole world of choices available to the Linux/OSS
developer -- have a look around and try things out. =o)

June Tate * http://www.theonelab.com * june at theonelab.com